Tuesday, May 1, 2012

We are beings of infinite possibility...

I find great comfort in Deepak Chopra's teachings that we are beings of infinite possibilities.  Humans are capable of overcoming mountainous obstacles and of reaching the highest goals when they set their minds to it.  But how does one come to realize the infinite possibilities that lie within him/herself?  Many of the great self-help gurus... William Atkinson, James Allen, Nathaniel Hill, Norman Vincent Peale, Rhonda Byrne, Deepak Chopra (just to name a few!)... preach of the power of thought.  The belief is that thoughts are simply another form of energy and that this energy (and therefore our thoughts), with enough desire, faith, and dedication, can become reality.  In other words, anything that a person thinks can come to pass if he/she wants it badly enough.  These words ring true to me.  I truly believe that we can achieve whatever we set our mind to.  But what does it take - I mean REALLY take - to reach that summit?
I am currently reading Nathaniel Hill's classic Think and Grow Rich which although originally published in 1937 is still relevant and motivating today.  One thing he and many other motivational authors suggest as a first step to self-actualization is to write down your life goal - that great thing you dream of achieving - and read it twice day - upon waking in the morning and upon going to sleep at night. If you haven't done this, I suggest trying it.  Actor/author Ben Stein is quoted as saying, "The indispensable first step to getting the things you want out of life is this: decide what you want."  So get out a piece of paper, and write down what you REALLY want to do with your life.  It doesn't matter if it's seems possible or not right now; remember... anything you think IS possible.  Give it a try, and you may be surprised at what you end up writing.  I'm not sure if these words are supposed to be kept secret like a birthday wish, but I want to share what I wrote with you... 
"My purpose is to use my love and passion for life to inspire joy and awe in others
so that the world may be a happier, kinder, more loving place."
Saying these words aloud  for all to hear (or rather writing them for all to read) does make them more real in some sense; it gives them  a substance, some basis in reality which they previously lacked.  Even if no one is listening, they exist in a space where people around the world have access to them.  And perhaps if others read my purpose and believe in it as I do, it will lend strength to my words and my journey.  Some may wonder what path I am taking to reach my goal... what the hell is it that I REALLY want to do?  After much thought and soul searching, I have dedicated myself to helping others  by serving as a personal, holistic life coach.  I possess more than enough therapeutic training that combined with an abundance of passion for life,  enables me to be an extraordinarily effective life coach.  So I have my mission statement, I have a clear purpose and path in mind, and I possess the desire and dedication... But now, how do I realize the infinite possibilities within myself and make my dreams a reality?

No comments:

Post a Comment